Pattern: 🌕🌕🌕🌑🌑 (3/5)
Completed Garment: 🌕🌑🌑🌑🌑 (1/5)
Size: 8
View: Shirt view
Overall: :-1:

這件上衣的版型我看了好久
一直很想買可是這家店從來不打折
去年感恩節終於下手買了這個版型
決定要一口氣做三件上衣(比較划得來)

這個是第一件!
我用了一塊非常醜而且完全不像我的 style 的布
上衣的袖子跟前面上面的一塊是連起來的
很特別! 跟一般的上衣很不一樣

I finally bought the Olya shirt late last year after having my eyes on it since I made my first button up shirt. I had read every single blog post I could find about the Olya shirt and I finally decided that I deserved to treat myself to this pricey pattern. When I bought the pattern, I told myself I would make at least three of these shirts. Here is the first of the three (and the worst of the three).

Fabric

I bought this fabric during Black Friday from Fabric Mart Fabrics. I bought this fabric solely for the purposes of making my Olya test-run. I didn’t even bother matching my thread to the fabric.

The fabric from Fabric Mart had quite a journey. The fabric got lost in the mail and the very helpful and attentive folks at Fabric Mart sent a replacement package to me. The original package ended up showing over a month later, which means I now have a lot of (too much) fabric to play with. This ended up being handy because of my fabric-cutting mess-ups.

Pattern

The Olya shirt is pretty loose fitting shirt. My measurements would’ve put me at a size 10 but I decided to size down to a size 8 based on some reviews, which was definitely a good choice. Honestly I probably could’ve gone down another size. The pattern is pretty cool and the integrated sleeve and front yoke is nifty. However, I’m not super crazy about how the sleeve fits. At least for me, the sleeve feels way too big and I feel like I’m drowning in it a little.

Another minor complaint is that the pattern pieces aren’t numbered. Especially for a pattern with so many pieces, it was easy to forget a piece. I’m usually pretty good about making sure I have all the peices I need but without a easy number/letter list to follow, I completely forgot to cut the back piece of the shirt! Fortunately, I had some extra fabric left due to the shipping snafu and was able to cut the back piece (and the back yokes, which I cut incorrectly initially).

Construction

I followed the sew-along on the Paper theory website, which was pretty helpful. The instructions in the instruction booklet wasn’t the clearest and having the sew-along images defintely helped. I think it would’ve been even better if they had used a fabric with a clear right vs wrong side to describe the steps though. The instructions for how to line up the shoulder seam at the corner of the yoke was also not the clearest and took some reading in between the lines.

Also, so excited about the sleeve placket! It looks so good! I’m so impressed with myself and how it looks. I’m not entirely sure if I did it right because the instructions weren’t very clear on where on the placket the bottom row of horizontal stitching should be (specifically, where the stitches need to catch in the back). I made a somewhat educated guess and hopefully it’s in the right place.

I actually finished most of the sewing for this shirt in the beginning of March and planned a button shopping trip to Stonemountain & Daughter Fabrics for a few different projects (all three of my Olya shirts, which were at the time at varying degrees of completion and a ugly cardigan that I will finish one day). I ended up just using some random buttons my button stash (from wawak).

Summary

Pretty ugly shirt but great practice run for the Olya shirt, which has a lot of tricky pieces! It absolutely does not fit in my wardrobe, but I’m happy I did a practice run. More to come on the Olya shirt, including a beautiful linen version that has a lot of the same downfalls as this shirt (but with more appropriate fabric).

Start date: Feb 13, 2022
Finish date: April 15, 2022
Pattern: Paper Theory Patterns Olya Shirt
Fabric: Cotton twill shirting